Bragg’s makes these apple cider vinegar drinks which I tried for the first time when Whole Foods had them on sale last week for $2 each (I tried the Limeade but they have numerous flavors to entice most tastebuds). I have intermittently tried to incorporate apple cider vinegar (ACV) into my daily life as there are many benefits to consuming raw ACV on a daily basis. Being able to purchase a premade, palatable ACV drink got me motivated to get back to consuming the healthy elixir and blogging the many benefits associated with ACV.
This is one of my ACV drink recipes that I especially created for my daughters under the pretense of sweetness and hydration- two thumbs up from both the teenager and 10 year old:)
APPLE PIE SLUSHY DRINK
6 ounces filtered water
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar*
2 tablepoons organic apple juice
2 stevia packets, 4 drops liquid stevia, or 1 teasoon stevia powder
1 teaspoon apple pie spice mix **
2-3 ice cubes
Blend all of the ingredients in a blender (I use my magic bullet) until ice cubes are slushy and drink is frothy. Pour into a tall ice tea glass and serve with a straw. Absolutely refreshing!
If you are making this for your kids, I usually make the slushy with only 1 tablespoon of ACV and serve this drink to them in the morning with breakfast and another one after school or pre-sports.
* Braggs is my favorite and the “gold” standard of raw ACV. You can find this brand at most large supermarkets, as well as at all natural food markets.
Only use raw, organic ACV which has the ‘mother’ of the vinegar. The ‘mother’ is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria. Clear vinegar is processed and doesn’t have any of the benefits that raw ACV has.
** My easy recipe for Apple Pie Spice Mix:
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Shake all of the spices in a small jar with an airtight lid. Keep stored with your other baking spices.
Now that you have a simple and tasty way to drink your ACV, here are some of the many reasons why:
- Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state. (It is particularly important if you drink a lot of coffee or wine.)
- It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol (lessen your dependence on Rx).
- Rich in acetic acid. This acid is said to slow the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals (help for all you diabetics).
- It can help clear up skin conditions and blemishes (tell your teenagers!).
- ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them (it’s almost beach season).
- Rich in malic acid which gives ACV its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties (alleviates digestive stress and helps fight colds).