- 1/2tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4pound smoked ham, diced (like Applegate Farm’s petite ham)
- 1 bunch collard greens, ribs removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 1cup pearled barley, washed and rinsed
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2tablespoon Fresh parsley, chopped, optional
For a vegan version, saute onions and garlic in olive oil and eliminate the ham.
The meat from a smoked turkey leg would work well in this recipe.
Kohlrabi, also known as German Turnip, is a round, tuberous vegetable in the Brassica family (that also includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens, and brussels sprouts). The vegetable is high in vitamin C and contains health-promoting phytochemicals such as isothiocyanates, sulforaphane, and indole-3-carbinol that are supposed to protect against prostate and colon cancers.