- 1/4cup 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt and ground black pepper, each, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3tablespoon maple syrup
- 2tablespoon chives, chopped
- 2teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 3 turkey or pork bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 granny smith apples, julienne
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 4 whole grain rolls
It might seem like a lot of dressing for the salad, but my family and friends have tried it with less, and we found it to be too bland. Don’t feel too guilty about the extra oil, as it is olive oil, a good, heart healthy fat!
You could make this vegan, by eliminating the bacon and replacing the chicken with tofu, fried to a golden brown.
Although the tartness of the granny smith apples are a great complement to the sweetness in the maple dressing, any apple would work well in this salad. It is actually a great way to try different varieties of apples; i.e. pink ladies, cameos, brae burns, etc.