- 1/4cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4cup spelt or unbleached white flour
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 2tablespoon honey
- 2tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2cup boiling water
- 1cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2pound peeled, large raw shrimp
- 1pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 slice of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2cup shredded parmesan cheese, from refrigerated section
- 1/4cup slivered almonds, roasted
To spice up the cornbread, you could fold in 1-2 tablespoons chopped japleno or a small can of green chile to the batter.
This is a vegan version of cornbread. If you are used to a sweeter, milk-based version, by all means whip up your family's favorite cornbread.
If you are short on time, please feel free to substitute your favorite bakery cornbread or even buttermilk biscuits for the homemade cornbread. It’ll cut 10-15 minutes from your total prep time.
Not a big seafood eater, substitute cubed tofu or bite size pieces of chicken breast for the shrimp, but prepare the same way on the grill or grill pan.
Turkey bacon would substitute well for regular bacon or eliminate bacon if preparing vegetarian.
The shrimp can marinate in the basil dressing in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, if that suits your time frame better.