- 2 bags cranberries, save 1 cup whole
- 1cup sugar, additional if needed *
- 1/2cup red wine
- 1/4cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 long slivers orange rind
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
*I am not a big fan of refined sugar and try to finds ways to substitute a healthier option if I can. I like to use coconut sugar in this recipe instead of white sugar. It’s a milder flavor to a brown sugar, but the cinnamon and orange influence can carry the more caramel-like coconut sugar. Feel free to try this option if you want a white sugar alternative.
**I prefer to use a lighter red (like a Beaujolais) for this recipe which tends to be fruitier and not so heavy in tannins.
Substitute the wine with water if you don’t care for wine in your recipe.
Try folding in chopped walnuts or pecans to the cranberry sauce after it has cooled. Fun crunch and sneaky way to add in good fats!