- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, skin removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-3 large potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cut in half and shredded *
- 1cup uncooked macaroni noodles **
- 1cup Goldfish crackers
* I like to use a short cut by substituting a 10-ounce bag of coleslaw cabbage in place of 1/2 cabbage.
** Keep your chicken noodle soup traditional by using dried wide egg noodles or even spaghetti noodles. Keep it gluten-free and processed carb-free by leaving out the noodles completely.
My oldest (and I) are big rice fans so I'll sometimes use 1/2-1 cup uncooked white rice in place of the noodles. If using uncooked rice it may take another 5-10 minutes for rice to fully cook. Do not, however, leave the soup cooking too long (and that goes for the noodles too) as the starch will absorb a lot of the liquid.