For a quick, keep-the-kitchen-cool meal that incorporates many of summer’s favorite garden vegetables look no further than this protein-rich rice bowl. Rice bowls are perfect one dish eating as you can easily mix and match your favorite proteins, vegetables and dressings depending on the season and what’s in the fridge.
- 1cup instant brown rice
- 4cup arugula
- 2tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2tablespoon honey, divided
- 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ears of fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 large red sweet pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1/2cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade *
- 1/4cup grape seed oil (or canola oil)
- 2tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoon Dijon mustard
*Chiffonade means to cut into long slivers. Stack the basil leaves and roll lengthwise like a cigar. Cut the rolled basil leaves crosswise and separate the long slivers.
For a vegetarian version, you could grill tofu (or tempeh) for 5 minutes each side that has been marinated for 10-15 minutes in the honey mustard marinade. Not a fan of soy, then try adding a can of white beans to the tomato mixture.
I think the next time I make this I'll throw Alaskan wild salmon on the grill in place of the chicken and get my healthy omegas and fats in for the day.
Other summer veggies that may be growing in your garden or are abundant at the farmer's markets are zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, snap peas, and green beans. For a change of pace, toss the summer veggies (yes, even the cucumber and tomato) in some olive oil and grill them prior to dicing.
A tip to cut the kernels from the cob: make a well in the center of the tomato mixture and stand the ear of corn upright. Cut off the kernels right into the mixture, which prevents flying kernels all over the counter and cutting board that need to be retrieved.