- 1 1/2pound lean ground beef
- 1/2tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4cups beef broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1/2-1teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour, arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2tablespoon water
Substitute 1 ½ pounds lamb or stewing beef for a more authentic Irish stew. Toss the cubed meat in some flour that’s been seasoned with salt and pepper and brown in oil. Remove from pot, drain most of the fat and continue with Step 1 at sautéing onions and garlic. You will, however, need to cook the meat mixture for about 45 minutes in the broth and then add in the vegetables as described in Step 2.
Experiment with other root vegetables such as parsnips and beets, as well as winter squashes as an addition to or replacement for the carrots and potatoes. If you follow a paleo diet, this would be advisable.
Using almond flour, cornstarch or arrowroot keeps the recipe gluten-free.