- 8ounce rotini (spiral) pasta, preferably whole wheat or gluten-free (I use brown rice)
- 1pound asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally in to 1 ½ pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2tablespoon fresh lemon juice*
- 4 1/2ounce proscuitto, coarsely chopped
- 1/2cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
This pasta dish is great the way it is, but it is so versatile you can easily substitute fresh or frozen sweet peas for the asparagus (both my husband and youngest daughter prefer it this way), bacon or pancetta for the proscuitto, and Romano cheese for the Parmigiano.
Proscuitto is an aged, dry cured, Italian ham.
You can easily make this vegetarian by eliminating the proscuitto.