- 1cup uncooked spelt groats, rinsed well
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2cup vegetable stock
- 1/2cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise, optional
- 2tablespoon honey
- 2tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 2cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1cup crumbled feta cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to season
I originally made this with pearled barley so feel free to substitute barley in place of the spelt.
Substitute goat cheese, cheddar cheese cubes or a creamy havarti for the feta.
It’s summer and this is a summer salad, which means chop up and mix in whatever veggies are growing in your garden or what looks really good at the farm stands.
Serve on the side (or add in) some grilled chicken sausage or a grilled meat for the carnivores in the bunch.
This taste even better the next day once the flavors meld together.
This is a perfect pot luck dish for a summer picnic or get together.