- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1cup uncooked rice
- 1cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped, optional condiment
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro, chopped, optional condiment
- 1/2cup Greek plain yogurt, optional condiment
My youngest daughter has low tolerance for dishes that are too spicy, but if your family prefers the heat, up the cayenne pepper to ½ teaspoon.
I like to mix in a handful or so of salad greens with the rice for a healthy green addition (this is actually how The Green Lemon serves their rice bowls).
Brown rice or quinoa are great substitutes for the white rice or eliminate the grain completely for a paleo version.
It is super easy to make this vegetarian by eliminating the chicken and adding an additional can of black beans.
Try substituting 1 pound of pork shoulder for the chicken for a mouthwatering meat version.
I look forward to experimenting with different salsas; mango, pineapple, chipotle, salsa verde.
My high schooler ranted and raved about her lunch when I used some leftover chicken mixture, rice, lettuce and shredded cheese in a burrito.