Here is a simple crock pot meal to prepare in the spring. It’s versatile enough to serve over pasta, rice, couscous or polenta with a side of spring salad greens.
- 3pound skinless, bone-in chicken pieces, such as breasts, thighs and drumsticks
- 1/4Cup Italian dressing *
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup sliced green olives
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1(14 oz) can quartered artichokes, drained
- 3tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
* I prefer to make my own Italian dressing using a homemade Italian seasoning mix I keep in my spice drawer. Here is a version that my family loves:
Italian Seasoning Mix:
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon stevia
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Combine all of the ingredients in an airtight container.
To make into a salad dressing or vinaigrette add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon water, and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix into a glass jar with a lid. Secure jar with lid and shake well.
This dry seasoning mix adds considerable flavor to soups, sauces, mashed potatoes. Use your imagination!
You could easily make this vegetarian by replacing the chicken with 2 cans of white beans, drained.
Use a slotted spoon to remove this dish from the slow cooker if you’re serving it on plates rather than in shallow bowls.