- 1pound dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and membrane removed, chop
- 2 bay leaf
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon dried coriander
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 3cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 avocados, pit removed, chopped, optional condiment
- hot sauce, optional condiment
- fresh cilantro, chopped, optional condiment
- plain Greek yogurt, optional condiment
* You can use all water (6 cups) to reduce the sodium content usually found in store bought broths (unless you are using a homemade stock) but you may want to adjust for additional salt.
If you want to thicken the soup a bit remove a few cups of the soup and blend with an immersion blender. Return to slow cooker and combine well.
I keep the meal light by adding a simple lettuce salad but the classic pairing with sopa de frijoles is a Cuban sandwich so if you want to experience a true Cuban meal find the best Cuban sandwich in your area and plan for a nap!