- 2tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped *
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2cup uncooked short-grain Arborio rice
- 1/2cup white wine
- 2 1/2cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, from refrigerated section
- 2teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 2tablespoon fresh lemon juice*
- Additional lemon peel, sea salt and ground black pepper, if desired
*Try using 2 shallots, finely chopped in place of the onion.
For a protein version, try adding in a pound of bay scallops during the last 30 minutes of cook time. Add in the butter, cheese etc. as directed in directions.
The Meyer lemon is a citrus fruit native to China thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange. The Meyer lemon fruit is yellow and rounder than a true lemon. The skin is fragrant and thin, coloured a deep yellow with a slight orange tint when ripe. Meyer lemon fruits have a sweeter, less acidic flavor than the more common Lisbon or Eureka supermarket lemon varieties.