- 2tablespoon plant-based butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped *
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2cup uncooked short-grain Arborio rice
- 1/2cup white wine
- 2 1/2cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 2tablespoon fresh lemon juice*
- Additional lemon peel, sea salt and ground black pepper, if desired
*Try using 2 shallots, finely chopped in place of the onion.
The Meyer lemon is a citrus fruit native to China thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange. The Meyer lemon fruit is yellow and rounder than a true lemon. The skin is fragrant and thin, coloured a deep yellow with a slight orange tint when ripe. Meyer lemon fruits have a sweeter, less acidic flavor than the more common Lisbon or Eureka supermarket lemon varieties. It is in season from November through May so add a ray of citrus sunshine to your foods all winter and early spring.
In place of traditional parmesan cheese I top my risottos with a vegan version. Here is my favorite recipe:
⅔ cup raw cashews *
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½-1 teaspoon sea salt
Place the ingredient in a food processor or small high speed blender and process into a fine crumb or meal. *You can substitute almonds or pistachio nuts for the cashews and for a non-nut version, try 1/3 cup hemp seeds.