- 1 1/4cup spelt berries *
- 1 3/4cup vegetable broth
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (from the refrigerated section
- 1/4cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
* Try farro instead of the spelt. Farro won't need as long of a cook time, however, so if using cook on HIGH 3- 3.5 hours or on LOW for 4.5-5 hours.
You may see spelt and farro used interchangeably but spelt is different than farro; they are more like cousins - not siblings - as they are different in gluten content, texture, and taste. That al dente quality of spelt berries is what makes them more suitable in grain salads, while farro is much better for risotto-like soft hot dishes. Maybe because of the slow cooker method, we found the spelt in this risotto to be delicious.
** You can also use just water in place of the vegetable broth.
This risotto is substantial and all it needs is a salad or some variety of greens; sauted kale, spinach or turnip greens.
If you feel you need some animal meat, try sausages or baked chicken. Serve the risotto as a side dish.