- 1cup celery, chopped (about 4 stalks)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 14ounce chicken broth
- 3ounce tomato paste (this is half a can)
- 1tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning *
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2cup instant brown rice (like Minute Made)
- 3/4cup red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2pound cooked, peeled medium shrimp (with tail is ok)
To add some heat, increase the Cajun seasoning to 2-3 teaspoons.
You could also add some andouille or spicy sausage for an added kick worthy of a Louisiana kitchen. Green peppers are traditionally used in Jambalaya, but I prefer the taste of sweet red peppers. Please use green peppers if that is your preference.
If you do add in a few links of sausage, decrease the rice by 1/2 cup or increase the liquid by 3/4 cup.