- 1pound dried white beans, such as great northern or navy (rinsed, soaked overnight, and drained)*
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 whole head of garlic, left whole and unpeeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2tablespoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Hunk of parmesan cheese, for grating at serving
*Soaking the beans overnight is important as it softens them and allows a shorter cooking time, as well as cleans off all the surface dirt and bacteria that does not get washed off after harvesting. Soaking also allows beans to slowly absorb the liquid they need to cook evenly and completely so they don't split open, lose their skins, or cook only the outer surface while the middle remains hard.
Grilled polenta cakes or brown rice and your favorite seasonal green veggie would be the perfect accompaniment to this meal.