- 2pound lean stewing lamb or beef, cubed
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 large onion, cut in half, sliced and cut in half again
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1teaspoon tumeric
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cooked rice, quinoa or couscous *
* Try the traditional Iranian way of eating this stew by straining with a slotted spoon and stuffing into pita bread.
An easy middle eastern salad to serve with this is a cucumber-onion salad: combine peeled and thinly sliced cucumber with thinly sliced sweet or red onion. Fold in sour cream, a little salt and some fresh chopped mint.
You can substitute chicken or beef broth for the water.