Fall and winter are synonymous with stews and a beef stew is a classic crock pot meal. The long, slow cooking period allows for the stewing beef to become tender. This is my version which my family loves. It includes tomato sauce and cabbage which boosts the antioxidants in a very traditional meat and potatoes meal.
- 1 1/2 pound stewing beef
- 1(28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3carrots cut into bite size pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small cabbage, cut into bite size wedges
- 1pound greens beans, cut in half
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cup water
If you want a richer flavor and do not mind the extra sodium, add a beef or vegetable bouillon cube.
This is a hearty one-pot meal, but if you want to add a crusty loaf of multi-grain or whole wheat bread for dunking in the broth, this would make a great addition. Likewise, a side salad of greens with vinaigrette would be a nice accompaniment.