- 12ounce dry whole wheat penne rigatoni
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 1/2cup milk (preferably whole)
- 2tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 1/4teaspoon whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2ounce smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2ounce queso Oaxaca (also called asadero), shredded *
- 10ounce Monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1cup cooked smoked ham, diced
- 1/4cup whole wheat bread crumbs**
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen petite peas
* You can substitute Muenster cheese in place of Queso Oaxaca
** Making your own breadcrumbs is super easy: for a ¼ cup of breadcrumbs, place 1 slice of day old bread in a food processor or blender and blend until desired consistency.
Make this dish vegetarian by eliminating the ham.