- 4tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs *
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 (32-ounce) jar high quality pasta sauce
- 8ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1/2tablepoon dried basil
- 1/2tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8ounce dried penne pasta noodles
- 2 bags spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
I like to use Muir Glen’s organic pasta sauces to save time, but if you have a favorite sauce recipe you’d like to use, by all means, please do!
When I have the time, for an additional 10-15 minutes, I make a delicious homemade sauce by sautéing 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil, adding a container of Pomi’s Italian pureed tomatoes with 2 teaspoons dried basil and oregano, a pinch of sugar or agave syrup, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes, and voila! It’s perfect tomato sauce.
My youngest is not fond of peppers, so I sometimes leave out the red peppers and it is still delicious.
To make this gluten free, substitute gluten-free pasta (like brown rice pasta) for wheat-based pasta.