- 12ounce dry spaghetti noodles
- 1/2tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, found in the refrigerated section
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
I sometimes like to add a ½ cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese right into the sauce to thicken it slightly and add another dimension of flavor. A splash, or two, of red wine ends up in my weekday sauce on occasion as well.
Chopped fresh herbs will end up in my sauce if I have them on hand; I add them in about 5 minutes before serving.
For a vegetarian version, leave out the ground beef and sauté up mushrooms, bell peppers, and/or summer squashes before you add in the tomato sauce.